Monday, April 27, 2009

A streak starts with one

Before you can start a win streak, you have to win the first game.  The Rays went into Minnesota and got the series off to the right start. Now, they have to really get the streak going with another win against a tough lefty. 

Here's some of the things I noticed tonight:

  • The 3-4-5 batters came through with a... gulp... 2 out rally in the 1st inning.  Longo got it started with a hit.  Pena tripled him in. And Pat the Bat knocked in Pena. Maddon couldn't have drawn it up any better.
  • The more I watch Jeff Niemann, the more I'm convinced that the Rays didn't really trade Edwin Jackson.  Niemann, like Jackson, seems to be teetering on the edge at all times.  Some of those times he teeters toward letting the other team have a big inning.  Other times, he seems to be able to pitch his way out of the big jams.  I'm sure Sonnanstine is now on notice that he's on the hot seat when it comes to David Price.
  • After the game, Carlos Pena told Todd Kalas that the team is just trying to keep it simple and have fun.  He believes if they keep doing that, the wins will come.
  • The bullpen was able to keep the Twins from mounting a comeback.  Broadcast analyst Brian Anderson said the bullpen looked just like it did last year.  It was good to see them get the chance to do their job.
  • I'm going to draw on the karma of Polk County Ray Hawk Fan.  I'm going to repost it tomorrow night.  Maybe he can overcome the karma of Steve Carlton tomorrow night.
  • Check out my new header.  Let me know what you think about my new design.  You can find me on twitter at www.twitter.com/m_weber or just leave a comment at the bottom of the page. While you're at it don't forget to sign up for my RSS feed. If you don't know what I'm talking about just punch in your e-mail address and you'll get all my posts delivered right to your inbox. Don't worry, I won't spam you.


1 Comment:

Rays Rev/ Michael Weber said...

I noticed this article got picked up on a Tigers message board, so I figured I'd respond for those of you coming over here.

The fanbase seems to be split on the Edwin Jackson trade right now. Honestely, I don't think he would've made much of a difference so far this year. Niemann is doing fine in his place. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see what Matt Joyce can do.

The problem I had with Jackson is the same thing Tiger fans are seeing now. He's very inconsistant. There are times when he looks like he could be one of the game's greats. At other times, he looks like he's just lost out there. The Rays had to move somebody because of David Price. If Matt Joyce pans out, it will be a win-win for everyone.

Post a Comment

Rays Revolutionary treated by Truly Nolen © Layout By Hugo Meira.

TOP